Why become a Y KNOT Mentor?
When you volunteer with Y KNOT, you re-direct the path of a possibly troubled youth that sees no light at the end of the tunnel. By cultivating a long-term relationship based on consistency, trust, and quality-time spent together, mentors help to build social and emotional wellness, develop life skills, and expand the world view of their mentee.
What’s it like to be a Y KNOT Mentor?
Y KNOT mentors spend ten hours a month with their mentees and also maintain weekly contact in some form. While in-person contact is preferred, weekly contact can consist of a phone call, postcard, email or text; anything that lets the mentees know their mentors are thinking about them.
Mentors participate in activities that both parties will enjoy; some favorites have been ice skating, bowling, visiting local museums and attending cultural festivals. Mentors also attend on-going training sessions that both prepare and support them throughout the time with their mentor.
Once a month all mentors and mentees attend Peer Group events through which they can engage in age-appropriate experiential learning activities..
At the end of each month, mentors record the time spent with their mentees through a simple form so that Y KNOT can track the progress of the relationship.
Requirements to become a mentor
• You must be 21 years old or older;
• You must intend to be in the area long enough to fulfill your minimum 1 year commitment;
• You must have access to a reliable vehicle; either you own a car or have a subscription to Zipcar, etc.;
• Clean driving record and clean criminal background record.
How do I become a Y KNOT Mentor?• The first step in becoming a mentor is to fill out the online Mentor Application. Please be sure to submit your references in the application!
• Once Y KNOT receives your application, we will review it and contact you within one to two business days.
• If Y KNOT determines that you are eligible for our program, we will schedule an in-person interview with you. The interview will take about 30-40 minutes.
• After the interview, we will review your references, application and interview materials. If accepted, you will receive an email informing you to begin the clearance process. This process takes up to 6 weeks to complete.
Although this list can seem overwhelming, Y KNOT is here to help! We will walk you through the process and offer additional assistance if needed.